The Magic of Waterfalls

Back in my hometown of Chicago, is a beautiful hidden nature park that was created in a wetlands area. It has hiking trails, a butterfly garden, baby animals, a lake with water so clear you can see fish, nature museum and waterfall. The waterfall casts a magical spell. It is at least 40ft high and is the source of a small stream that runs thru the park. Near the west side of the waterfall, is a hidden steep vertical trail off the path winding up into the trees.

Of course, upon noticing it, I had to take that path to see where it led.

I climbed straight up into the trees. The pine scent was intoxicating. Suddenly, I was amazed to find myself at a secret secluded grove above the top of the Waterfall. I followed the echoes of water toward a big boulder at the end of the grove, and was on the edge of the waterfall, rewarded by a breathtaking view of the entire Moraine Valley. Miles and miles of green grass and endless forest and blue skies. Nature at its best! This was the picture perfect Summer day, the kind of faraway place you always see in photos yet wonder where and if it really exists. The kind of view you'd imagine from a Castle tower in a fairy tale land. 

It was also a hot day, and kids were playing in the water below. The adventurous ones had hopped the wooden fence into the stream to cool off and splash. Some had tried to climb up the waterfall but didnt get past the slippery wet rocks. Some waded across the stream to a little island in the middle of it all.  I just had to climb DOWN the waterfall because naturally, the spirit of adventure flows thru my veins. It was a challenge. And I did it. 40 feet straight down the old fashioned way using feet, hands, determination and wild abandon. 

Sometimes I get homesick and wish that magical waterfall wasn't so far away.

I am living in the Desert now. I discovered a waterfall here. The Vegas version. It is a mysterious flat waterfall ( I cant tell if its a wall of water or digital effects) built into a mountainside of Pine on the Vegas Strip. During the day, its invisibly silent. At night it comes alive. 

I first went there on the night of the Full Moon, and the Moonlight amplified the magical feel, even in this plastic town where everything is really man made glitter. There was more...lights hidden in the trees that turn the forest into waves of neon; emerald green, fuschia, deep purple and electric blue. The waterfall wakes up, turning into a larger than life video screen with Art and Music. Mysterious things pop out of trees then disappear again. Giant fuschia flowers bloom then softly dance in the Wind to Classical Music. Lights underwater turn the faux lake into a sea of hypnotic neon electric blue. 

As I sit on the outdoor Terrace over this "Lake of Dreams," drinking mint Mojitos or Kir Royales at Midnight in another part of the world, still wrapped in magic.  

Dream on....my travels.

ORIGINALLY PUBLISHED @ ROCK N ROLL REVOLUTION

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Preview Chapter from Book

Family Ghosts

Spirits Check In to Jerome Grand Hotel - for Eternity