Cruising the Historic Columbia River Highway

World Co-ordinates 45 42'17 N - 121 47'30 W
Historic Columbia River Highway
Multnomah County, Oregon

Where in the World am I? 

I am in a green Firebird with T tops off, driving down narrow winding roads of the Historic Columbia River Highway.  It is a picture perfect Summer day, with golden sunlight so bright it lights up the trees, forest and wildflowers in almost surreal neon colors. I feel like I'm coasting thru a high dynamic range world. The car's motor is purring like a panther in harmony with the open road.  Mesmerized, I cruise past covered wooden bridges, country lanes, and white picket fences lining parts of the highway. The wind blows thru my hair with a cool breeze off the Columbia River to my left. To my right are Mountains of forested cliffs so close I could reach out of the car and touch them. The scents of Nature here are so pure and primal.  Miles up the road hidden in the forest is what I'm hunting for today.  I'm on my way to the Waterfalls.

Upon doing Historical research, I see that my personal experience and perceptions of this gorgeous spot on Earth are right in tune with whats been said by many who traveled before.

The Historic Columbia River Highway  - HCRH - is a 75 mile scenic highway in Oregon. Built in 1913 it was "modeled after the great scenic roads of Europe and designed with an elegance that took full advantage of all the natural beauty along the route. Switzerland's Axenstrasse, the inspiration for the Columbia Highway."  (source quote : Wikipedia)

They weren't kidding. I'd describe it as an Enchanted Highway.

Here are some great videos found on YouTube.

Columbia River Highway - present



Columbia River Highway - past
1917 video from Ford Motor Company

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Preview Chapter from Book

Family Ghosts

Visiting Tesla